So, as you know I posted pictures of my attempt at making the Happy Herbivore’s apple fritter cups and mentioned that I just didn’t enjoy the texture of them at all. I adored the idea and the flavour profile very much so, I decided to modify her recipe (I LOVE 95% of her savory recipes, but her baked goods often disappoint me) and make my version into a cross between her apple fritter cups and my whole wheat muffins.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (adjust to taste)
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup diced apples
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 3/4 cups non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cups diced apple
- 3 tbsp (or to taste) brown sugar (the glaze in the original recipe was not a hit in our house, so I made the topping more sugary instead)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
Preheat Oven 400 deg
Oil or line 12 muffin cups and set aside
1). Combine apple sauce (I just throw an apple, some cinnamon and a splash of water in my blender to make the apple sauce) with the chia seeds in a small bowl, stir well and leave to gel on the counter.
2). Combine milk and apple cider vinegar and whisk together well until frothy, set aside.
3). Mix 1 1/2 cups chopped apple with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tbsp brown sugar to make topping.
4). Combine remaining dry ingredients in a mid sized bowl.
5). Add remaining 1/2 cup diced apple and wet ingredients (don’t forget your apple chia gel) into the dry ingredients and just mix together until just barely wet.
6). Spoon batter into muffin cups, then top with your cinnamon, apple, brown sugar mixture.
7). Pop muffins into your preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into a muffin comes out clean.
8). Allow muffins to cool completely and enjoy with friends and family.