Pancakes are the perfect “brunch” Item for someone like myself who has a bicycle commute between home and work. I bulked these up a bit by adding half a cup of oatmeal, some extra brown rice milk, a splash of apple cider vinegar to my usual Vegan Banana Pancake Recipe and then smearing a tablespoon or so of peanut butter on under the sautéed fruit prior to serving.
How to Make My Fruit Topping:
This is such a great way to use up fruit which is needing to be used up quickly. Today I had four apples which were just verging on being over-ripe, so I decided to mix them into a pancake topping.
What you need:
- 1-2 cups of fresh fruit and 1/2- 1 cup of frozen berries
- 1/8 cup water
- Agave nectar to your taste (you can use whatever sweetener you usually use, or even add a spoonful of jam or skip the extra sweetener)
- Cinnamon to taste
- A splash of lemon juice
- Chop your fruit up and throw it in a small saucepan with the water and other ingredients.
- Cook over medium high heat until the fruit is cooked to your liking
- Enjoy over top of pancakes, waffles, vegan ice-cream, stir it into your coconut yogurt, toss it into muffin batter, dump it in your oatmeal etc (the possibilities are endless)
This is a painfully simple way to save a few dollars by using what you have for a purpose other that what you bought it for. I so often buy more fruit than I can eat and I really dislike throwing food into the compost bin if I can avoid it.