I “invented” this great dish which I call “Half-Pasta Salad” a couple of years back, when I started being more aware of what I eat. I call this “Half-Pasta Salad” because it’s quite literally half pasta, and half salad. I used to serve this with a mayo-based dressing, but now that I’m more cautious about the amount of oil/fat I consume I invented this terrific chickpea based creamy dressing. The dressing is really easy to adapt to your own needs and tweaking the herbs etc is a great way to make this a more flexible, appealing dish. I also love this dressing as a sandwich spread, veggie dip etc.
- 1/2 cup cooked chick peas
- rice wine vinegar or lemon juice (enough to ensure the chickpeas blend nicely – adjust amounts for taste and texture)
- a splash of oil if you wish
- tamari to taste
- 1 tbsp grainy or dill Dijon
- 1 clove or more fresh garlic
- fresh or dried dill
- freshly ground pepper to taste (I like the blend of pink, white and black peppercorns)
- Chop garlic into smallish pieces
- Toss all ingredients into your blender and blend until it creates a sauce with a creamy sort of mayonnaise-like consistancy
- Set aside.
- Chop 4 cups of your favourite veggies into small pieces. Place in a bowl with 1-2 cups chickpeas .
- Mix dressing into the bowl with the veggies and set aside
- Cook 4 cups of your favourite pasta , drain and cool completely under cold water.
- Mix the cooked and drained cool pasta into the bowl with your veggies, chickpeas and dressing
- Serve and enjoy.
Note: If you are not serving this salad immediately after making it, give it a good stir prior to serving to “re-activate” the creamy texture.