So, one of the very first things I learned how to make vegan was these simple, yummy whole wheat (I’ve made these with lots of different types of flour with decent success) banana pancakes. I was absolutely blown away by how light, fluffy and simple these were to make, and how much better they are than any of the omni whole wheat pancakes I’d tried in the past. These are so tasty, that I usually have to make extra, or my mom will eat my share too.
Fluffy Vegan Banana (optional) Pancakes.
(People will NOT guess that these are vegan).
- 1 cup flour (I use whole wheat most of the time, but sometimes buckwheat ).
- 2 tsp baking powder.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (normal salt will do, but I don’t use it often).
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- 1 tbsp sweetener of choice (original recipe called for 3 tbsp, but that was overkill for me).
- 1 tsp vanilla.
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I make my own brown rice milk, or almond milk usually, but in a pinch I use my mom’s soy).
- 1/2 large ripe banana or one whole small mashed banana (you can substitute *flax or chia gel here if you hate bananas).
- Combine all dry ingredients well in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour all wet ingredients (including banana) in your blender and blend for 15-25 seconds.
- Pour all wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and combine just enough to moisten.
- Cook in a frying pan, as you would cook any pancakes (I use an unoiled Teflon one)
- Serve and enjoy
(Makes 4-6 standard pancakes)
To make a chia “egg” just soak 1 tbsp of chia seed in 3 tbsp of water, to make a flax “egg” just soak 1 tbsp ground flax in 3 tbsp of water.
I often poke berries or apples, or even vegan chocolate chips into each pancake while cooking them (prior to turning over) and also often serve them with steam sautéed fruit in place of syrup, but basically, these are really good served any way you like them, don’t be afraid to get creative and experiment with personalizing this recipe.
The little monster at the top of the page is my 13 year old dachshund, Bjorn who is basically the coolest person I know.